History of Stubton
World War Two connection
Page down for the full story
Take a Look at Some Stubton Archive Photographs
Stubton Village, Home Farm, 1962......"a tragic day"
The Stubton Air disaster, Friday lunchtime, 23rd March 1962
On 23rd March 1962 a Handley Page Victor B2 bomber, flying from Radlett aerodrome, home of the A & AEE (Aircraft & Armament Experimental Establishment) stalled at approx 16,000 feet, on approach to RAF Cranwell. It entered into a flat-spin as the plane rapidly lost height. Two of the 5-man crew ejected, one bailed-out, but the two remaining were killed on impact, along with two occupants of Home Farm, Stubton. The bomber had hit the 17th Century farmstead with resulting devastation. Below is an article from the Derbyshire Times, which reported on the accident, as the Burtt / Wilson family have strong ties to Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
(click on article to download pdf image)
Below: the devastation, from the Home Farm driveway on Fenton Road.
Right: Library picture of a Victor B1 Bomber, similar to the B2 XL159 that crashed onto Home Farm.
It was on secret development trials at the time of the accident.
Below: Aerial view (looking east) of Home Farm before the disaster, shows the 17th Century farmstead, the yard, and the outbuildings.
Fenton Road skirts the bottom of the photo, and what is now a Barn conversion can be seen at the bottom of the photo too.
Tragically, two people died in the farmhouse, Annie and Cecilia Gibson.
(Right:- as it was then reported)
Mr Burtt was trapped in the wreckage, until being pulled to safety.
Mrs Burtt was blown out of the front window, and suffered serious injuries.
Both were rushed to hospital.
Left: Luckily, the Burtt's 3 children; Philip, Heather and Joanna had only just returned to the school, on Brandon Road, after having their lunch at their home.
Farm Foreman Mr.John Scrimshire rushed to the aid of his employer, dragging him clear of the wreckage, and to safety, before the site was engulfed in flames.
John was later awarded the 'British Empire Medal' for gallantry.
The Minister of Aviation, Mr Julian Amery (below left) is shown presenting John with the BEM
Home Farm was later rebuilt, and can be seen (centre), on the 1985 aerial photogaph below, looking South, with Claypole Road to the right.
** Please note, that there is no longer any evidence at Stubton of the disaster, as the site has long since been redeveloped **
All photgraphs and newspaper clips kindly supplied by J.Burtt
(posted by MartinD 21/01/2010)
History of Stubton...continued
Women's Land Army - Stubton
Liz Ashmole's visit to Stubton - June 2012
"I really enjoyed my recent visit to your lovely village where my parents met during WW2 when Mum was a landgirl at Stubton Rectory and Dad was in the 1st Airborne Div Provost Company stationed at Stubton Hall (see photo). Special thanks to Claire at Stubton Hall for showing us around and to Ted Critchley in the village for his help"
Link to the WARTIME MEMORIES website, for
'a Recollection' - by Liz Ashmole
of her Mum's time at Stubton Rectory
during World War Two
(click on Land Girls poster above to go to this 'posting' on the Wartime Memories website)
STUBTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Newark; containing 170 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1152a. 3r. 30p. of land, chiefly the property of Sir Robert Heron, Bart., who is lord of the manor; the surface is varied, and the lower parts are watered by streams tributary to the river Witham. Stubton Hall, the seat of Sir Robert, is a spacious and handsome modern mansion; in the grounds is an extensive collection of birds and quadrupeds. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 9., and in the gift of Sir Robert: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The present church, a neat structure with a tower, was built in 1800. John Hargrave, in 1680, bequeathed land now producing £58 per annum, for the repair of the church, and for the poor.
'Strickland, Great - Stubton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 250-252.
Entry from Kelly's Directory
Stubton Hall, a brief history
(Extract from an article in the Lincolnshire Life.)
The estate at Stubton Hall had been in the Heron family since 1789 and was inherited by Sir Robert, from his uncle Sir Richard, in 1805. It was initially the perfect place for summer visits, but after being elected an MP in 1812, Sir Robert (who served for thirty-five years as the representative for Grimsby and later Peterborough) decided it should be his main home. In his diary of April 1813, he reveals that he initially wanted to remodel the existing house. A plan had been agreed on with J.Wyatt, a fashionable architect who was known for his alterations to older houses, and for new country houses built in a picturesque or classical style. However, when they started to put that plan into action, they discovered that the property was in such a ruinous state, they had to revisit their original ideas. After three days of deliberations they finally decided on the best way forward. Records suggest that Wyatt, who was later commissioned to remodel the outside and inside of Windsor Castle for King George IV, kept at least some of the seventeenth century house at Stubton, especially its service wing. In the end he designed a restrained, classical style building, similar to Wolley Park in Berkshire, which he had remodeled in about 1799. Heron's diary of January 1814 interestingly comments on the "enormous expense of building" and reveals that in the previous January he had spent £7,000, with the result that his property was "covered in", but that was all. As well as adding a conservatory to Stubton Hall, Heron was also known for keeping a large menagerie and he boasted of his success in breeding exotic animals such as llamas, alpacas, lemurs, porcupines, armadillos and kangaroo.
Sir Robert and his wife, Amelia, had no children. Amelia was the grand-daughter of Baptist Noel, Earl of Gloucester and so was related to the Neviles of Wellingore. When Robert died in 1854, the estate, including large sections of land in Stubton and Claypole passed to Amelia's relation George Nevile.
George, who lived in the hall, may have made further alterations but no record of these has been found so far. After his death, Stubton Hall passed to Sir Ralph Henry Sacheverel Wilmont, although it wasn't his main home. When he passed away the property was put up for sale and bought by Sir Edmund Royds. Like Heron, he was another MP. Sir Edmund represented Sleaford and at one time was also High Sheriff of Lincolnshire and a Deputy Lord Lieutenant. Sir Edmund instigated a big programme of repairs and alterations to the Hall.
When he was aged 81, Sir Edmund tried, unsuccessfully, to sell Stubton. It was still unsold in 1946 when he died and it then passed into the hands of Lincolnshire County Council to be turned into a school.
To read the full article, go to the Dec 2009 Archive in the Lincolnshire Life website, at:-
pdf archive December 2009, page 2 of 2.
(posted by MartinD 24/01/2010)